General dentistry focuses on preventing, diagnosing, and treating different conditions affecting the teeth and the surrounding oral tissue. A general dentist can treat various diseases and often perform procedures to help their patients maintain good oral health. At Greater Dental Health, the most common conditions a general dentist treats include cavities and tooth decay, gum disease, mouth infections, and gum inflammation. Additionally, patients who visit a general dentist often receive routine examinations to ensure their teeth and gums are healthy. Most dentists will also offer their patients advice on preventative dental care so that they can keep their smiles looking great for years to come.
Many patients visit their general dentist regularly to receive cleanings and exams. These appointments allow your dentist to check your mouth for any early signs of decay or disease so that you can be diagnosed and treated before your condition becomes severe. During your exam and cleaning, your dentist will also give you tips and advice on maintaining oral health between visits.
What Types of Services Do General Dentists Provide?
- Cleanings and exams every six months to check for cavities and gum disease
- X-rays to look for decay between teeth or below the gum line
- Sealants to prevent cavities in molars, premolars, and any deep grooves in the tooth’s surface
- Mouthguards for patients who play sports or have TMJ issues
- Prescription mouth rinses or toothpaste to address conditions such as dry mouth, gingivitis, enamel erosion, and tooth decay.
- Dental implants replace missing teeth and restore the appearance of the smile.
- Whitening to remove stains and brighten the smile
- Fillings to treat minor to medium-sized cavities
- Crowns to repair a tooth that is badly decayed or cracked
- Extractions to relieve pain caused by extensive decay, infection, or abscessed teeth
- Root canals to treat infected pulp tissue deep within the tooth
The Benefits of General Dentistry
A routine of general dentistry appointments can help patients maintain healthy teeth and gums and catch potential problems in their initial stages before they grow worse. Regular cleanings can also help keep cavities from forming or progressing further. In addition to keeping your teeth looking and feeling their best, regular check-ups can also allow your dentist to identify issues at their earliest stages when they are easier to treat and less costly. By addressing problems early, you can help prevent more severe damage from occurring and prevent conditions like gingivitis, which can cause severe complications if left untreated.
Visit Greater Dental Health at 5210 Town Center Blvd Suite 310, Floor 2, Peachtree Corners, GA 30092, or call (470) 508-0044 for the best dental care. No matter your dental needs, we can create a custom treatment plan. Whether you are due for your regular cleaning or need more advanced treatment to improve your smile’s appearance, we can help.